- Tom Cruise. He got braces in 2002 at the age of 40. His antics and movies since then have made it so few people remember this period of his life.
- Gwen Stefani. She got braces in 1999 at the age of 30. If you did not notice them when she was the lead singer of the band No Doubt, it may have been because she also had pink hair at the time.
- Faith Hill. She was 45 when she had to have braces for a second time because she did not wear her retainer and her teeth shifted. Like Tom Cruise, she opted for ceramic braces. Ceramic braces are the same color as your teeth, so they are less noticeable than traditional metal braces.
- Katherine Heigl sported clear aligners for a time, as did Justin Bieber. While they usually go by the name Invisalign, they are not recommended for everyone. These clear trays that are custom made for your mouth come out when you eat, brush and floss. In addition, they are also changed every two weeks or so. However, they are usually only used to fix minor shifting, therefore, you need to ask your orthodontist if you qualify to use them.
- Miley Cyrus and Kate Middleton also had braces for some time. However, you may not have noticed because they had lingual braces. That is where the brackets are placed on the back or tongue side of the teeth so that they are less noticeable. While more people qualify for this than Invisalign, it is often more expensive. Therefore, not only do you have to ask if you qualify for it, you need to find out if your insurance company will cover it or if you can pay the additional cost yourself.
If you have been told by your dentist or orthodontist that you need braces to fix a malocclusion such as an over or underbite or because your teeth are crooked or crowded, do not despair. Even if you are an adult, you are not alone. Many people before you have worn braces and made it through. In fact, after the process, they were able to smile bigger and prettier than ever before. Aside from the fact that adults over the age of 18 are the biggest growing group going to the orthodontist and getting braces, there are a large number of celebrities who have rocked a metal mouth during their time in the spotlight.