If you own genuine diamonds or other gemstones, then it is a good idea to have them appraised by a jewelry appraiser. An appraiser can give you an official replacement value of your gem stones i so that your homeowners or renters insurance will cover them in case of a situation where the gem stones are lost or stolen. The process of evaluating and grading a diamond or other gemstone is an art, but it also takes years of training and practice in order to be able to do it well. That is why it is important to do your research on the different jewelry appraisers in your area before you commit to paying them for appraising your jewelry. Here are a few things to keep in mind during your search for an appraiser, and a few questions that you want to make sure to ask before you commit to them.
– Ask about how they structure their fees. Appraisal fees should never be set based on the final appraisal value of the gem that they are appraising. This will only encourage an appraiser to value the gemstones higher so that they can charge a higher fee.
– Look for an appraiser that is able to give you written guidelines for how they are assessing your gem stones and they use an easy to understand grading system in complete their valuation.
– The Jewelry appraiser should be able and willing to discuss the appraisal process, and they take the time to sit down with you, the client, and completely answer any questions that you may have during the process.
– They use a nationally recognized reporting system that can be easily read and interpreted and covers all of the bases for which you are having the appraisal conducted. For example, if you need an appraisal done for insurance purposes, then they should be able to generate a report that can be given as is to the insurance company. If they attempt to charge you more for a separate report, be wary of doing business with them.
– One of the most important things that you should always ask an appraiser about before you begin the gem appraisal process is if they will provide to you an official total value statement. Official means that they will provide a a certificate or a seal that shows that they have given you an appraisal for a specific amount and that amount can not be changed by someone else afterwards.
– Also make sure that you look at an appraiser’s experience. How long have they been in the business? What is their training that they received? They should have some sort of degree or education in gemology, and they should be willing to show you their certifications when asked.
Whoever you decide to go with for your diamond and gemstone appraisal, make sure that you are comfortable with the person that you are working with and confident in their ability to give you accurate and timely reports back on your jewelry.