Finding great senior living facilities in Lubbock can be more challenging than most people realize. The problem here is twofold. First, even though the city isn’t incredibly large, there are actually quite a few facilities within its limits. Thus, picking one of them out of the crowd requires a bit of hard work and dedication, unless of course you don’t really care and you’re just looking for the cheapest one. Considering that you’re going to be moving someone you love into the facility, odds are you actually care about the quality of care that they provide. The second problem is that although the senior living industry has come a long ways in the past couple of decades, there are still plenty of facilities out there that don’t do a great job of providing quality care. These are obviously the facilities you’re going to want to avoid.
The key to finding the best senior living center in a city like Lubbock is having a good idea of what you should be looking for. Here are five things that you should keep your eye out for. The more of these a facility has the better it’s likely to be. Here they are.
1. Welcome and Open Atmosphere. There’s nothing worse than not feeling welcome in the place you live. The best way to avoid this is to choose a facility that’s open and welcoming to all of their residents, one that works hard to make sure they’re comfortable at all times.
2. A Real Commitment to Physical Activity for Their Residents. It’s not rocket science: The more people exercise the healthier they are, the longer they live, and the happier they tend to be.
3. A High Staff Ratio. You’ll also want to look for a facility with a high staff to resident ratio. The higher the ratio is the more staff members the facility has as compared to their number of residents. Obviously, the more staff members a facility has the more they can care for each individual resident. When facilities are understaffed they end up having to cut corners, and that means worse care for their residents.
4. Great Technology. As with everything else in the world today, there are technologies out there that can benefit senior living facilities. Facilities putting this kind of technology to use see lower rates of falls and other potential life-threatening accidents. If it’s out there waiting to be used, why not use it?
5. A Coherent Philosophy. At the end of the day, all a family can ask for is that the facility they put their loved one into has a coherent philosophy. This simply means that they have a plan for how they care for each resident, they have a desire to create a certain type of environment, and they have a set of beliefs that they center their care around.
The Legacy at South Plains is one of the few assisted living facilities in the city that offers all of these things. Set up a meeting with their office to check out their facility, and you’ll quickly realize why it’s the facility of choice for so many families in Lubbock.